TQcast Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo: Reach review

Go down

Halo: Reach review Empty Halo: Reach review

So apparently the embargo is over after all because of all the leaked copies. I might as well put this on here first then Smile

Let me preface this by stating that I am NOT by any means a "Halo Fanboy". I thoroughly enjoyed Halo: Combat Evolved, because of what it was at the time. Great graphics, and a compelling story with fun multiplayer. Halo 2, and Halo 3 were more or less boring to me (and let's not even get into the joke that was ODST), so what do I think of Bungie's final send-off to the universe they created?

Controls:

The controls are, at their core, the controls of any other Halo game (which is to say most FPS games), with some interesting tweaks. First the controls "feel" more fluid. Maybe it's just me and not playing Halo in a good while, but everything feels so smooth. Not just the regular movement either, but the flight, and vehicle controls as well. The only problem long-time halo players will have is trying to remember to hit the button for your armor ability.

Graphics:

This is EASILY the best looking game on the 360. Everything still looks like Halo, but totally revamped and remastered. There is a "newness" to things that should feel old, just because of the graphical tweaks. Maps that were classic staples (Blood Gulch, Ivory Tower, etc), look so much better revamped in the new engine, and new maps still have the feel of Halo. All the cut scenes are done in-engine, where you can see your custom Spartan in them - so no pre-rendered stuff here.

Sound:

You NEED a surround system to fully enjoy this experience. Halo has always been known for their atmospheric music (and the chanting....oh the chanting), but Reach takes it to the next level. The music itself just blew me away. And speaking of things blowing you away, wait until you get into the space-dogfighting area to see what they did with the sound there. Apart from that, the voice acting is spot on with what they were trying to convey.

Story:

I'm not going to bother posting any kinds of spoilers here. let's just say that the story was moving and emotional, and gives you a serious satisfaction at the end.

Forge:

The additions to Forge are simply crazy. Never before have I played a game that gives you THIS level of customization options. it's as if Bungie said "here's our baby, what happens now is up to you". I can't even begin to talk about what's all better, but if you enjoyed making maps in the past, you'll be extremely happy now.

Final thoughts:

There's a lot more I COULD say, but I think I've given you enough to salivate over for the next 8 days Razz If you have a 360, and you enjoy the FPS genre, this is a no brainer. 5 Michela all the way (I'd give it more if I could)

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Halo: Reach review :: Comments

Desz

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:59 pm by Desz

wow 5 michelas?? It's rare like Mr. Clean with Hair to see 5 Michelas..nice review!

Back to top Go down

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:20 pm by Guest

It's going to be between Reach, GoW3, and Mass Effect 2 for GotY this year, and I really just throw GoW in there for a PS3 exclusive....

Back to top Go down

TheL1T1G4T0R

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:41 am by TheL1T1G4T0R

Interesting. I've heard alot about the game. More seem to think it's more of the same. One guy even said that it felt like it should have been DLC. I didn't bother with map creation or too much in the 3rd game anyway so I can't personally justify that as a selling point for me.

I won't be buying it just because I won't be playing on Xbox Live.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it though. I'm sure it will do great things but I fear a lot of people may not like the ending as much as you. I know once I heard what happen, I wasn't too impressed.

Back to top Go down

V8SuperCars

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:16 pm by V8SuperCars

Im pumped for this game, nice review Whiskey.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:58 pm by ochoas08

So i had only played the story for 3 1/2 hours with 2 friends on Legendary... and unlike with halo 3 and odst where i got into the story right away it wasnt the same with this one... it felt boring with no point to it. so i gotta give it a try again but for now its ehh.... the multiplayer is faster but it still gets me mad were i gotta shot a whole clip to kill a guy.. im more a COD player.. im considering selling this game as soon as I finish the story.. I paid full price but got a $25 coupon.. so in the end i might not lose anything if i can get $35 for it..

Back to top Go down

Desz

Post Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:04 pm by Desz

I don't know ochoas, are you sure you're not playing Halo: Wars?

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:01 am by milenia353

Nearly every games site I visit who has posted their Halo: Reach reviews give it high marks based on for example..."armor abilities breathe fresh life into the excellent competitive multiplayer", "fantastic cooperative play", extensive customization options and powerful creation tools". Its 2010 and while lots of new titles focus on incorporating a strong multiplayer component it is my belief such title should be reviewed differently...2 parts say. So, after playing ONLY Halo:Reach's singleplayer campaign what would you score it?

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down